Saturday, June 15, 2013

Hello!

Why hello there! I'm writing to you all from a humble, semi-comfortable home in Lakewood, Ohio. More specifically I am writing from a high table in the kitchen and a metal chair that's about to fall apart. This summer is flying by; I've just completed my fifth week of my internship and before I know it I'll be moving back to Michigan to start RA training (oh... yeah... yay........................). So my resolve was to use this summer to my advantage and accomplish a few things while I'm out of school:
1. Learn Chinese
2. Lose weight

This blog will focus on the second goal I've set for this summer. Not exactly to track my progress (I have a separate blog page for that) but to track my findings on food's role in our lives and ways I have found to eat healthy in a world where it's easier to buy everything pre-packaged. I'm trying to shy away from those tempting, single-serving chocolate bars and crackers that give the illusion of nutrition simply because they're in cute, tiny portions. However, I feel the pain right in my college tuition bills caused by the expense of buying organic foods (which, by the way, are NOT always healthy just because they're organic) or anything from a health foods store. So I'm trying to find a happy medium between bottom-of-the-barrel prices for processed foods and the high-end, hippie hooray organic foods sold alongside some sort of facial cleanser made from tree leaves (or something like that....) at places like Nature's Bin--which, by the way, is a great local organic store that supports the community and hires workers with special needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment