Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dinner and Dessert

Listening to: Breathe Me - Sia

I'm all alone in the house tonight, which means PARTYYyyYYyyYyYYYY . . . AKA cooking dinner for myself and lazing around on a Saturday night. I checked out a book called "Food Rules: An Eater's Manual" by Michael Pollan today from the library. I like it because it's small, simple, and gives snippets of paragraphs with simple tips on how to eat nutritiously. Basically, the gist of it is this: keep your food simple. I'll probably write more on the tips given later, because some of them are very good points that have been brought up that are easy to remember. But for now, let's just keep it simple.

Dinner tonight was homemade and tasted oh-so-good. I microwaved mini rotini in a bowl of water for about 7 minutes to cook the pasta (since I have only myself to cook for) then drained it and stir-fried garlic, broccoli, mushrooms and tomatoes. Slightly before the veggies were done, I added the pasta into the pan to heat it up along with the rest of the dish. For seasoning, I used Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy seasoning and black pepper. I also mixed in some RedHot Buffalo wing sauce as the "pasta sauce;" not the most healthy thing in the world, but I didn't have actual pasta sauce and I like my food spicy ok SUE ME. Everyone's also on this whole "DON'T EAT GRAINS/STARCHES/PASTA/BREADS WHATEVER" kick, and I know it's not great for you, but it's all right in moderation, don't get your pantaloons in a twist now.


So this is how this bad boy turned out.
This actually looks a lot more professionally made
than it was. Wow. It looks like not-shit.

I also decided to be adventurous and use the leftover apple from what I had chopped up to put in my yogurt in a new way. I attempted to make apple crisps in my toaster with apples, cinnamon, and dab peanut butter on a few of them. They were not exactly what I would call a success, but they were not exactly a failure either! Well... they were more a failure than success though. But it's a good starting point! I basically just cut the apple into slices, set the slices on tin foil, and sprinkled cinnamon on them. Peanut butter was a last-minute addition. Well, the peanut butter cooked way too quickly (as you can see) but still tasted really good. The apples, however, were an awkward mix between mushy and crisp. This is, however, a perfect snack because (let's say you made these without peanut butter) you are essentially eating: an apple. With cinnamon on top. I'm going to revisit this recipe soon and improve on it so you have healthy, tasty things to munch on that will also make your mouth water. This is the key to eating right: truly satisfying yourself so that you don't need the junk food, not constantly fighting a war against your cravings.

I still ate them... mwahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment