Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Apple Chips Sans Mandolin

So I attempted to bake apple chips, which were (almost) a success! The only thing added is cinnamon sugar, which is ~7 calories worth. Well worth it for this treat. It's better to use a mandolin to slice the apples to very thin pieces, but I don't have one so I just tried to tough it out by cutting the slices very carefully and slowly. I did, however, order a cheap $20 mandolin on Amazon and it will be here within the next few days, so I'm hoping they'll turn out even better next time! And I will post on how they improved. (Also, I apologize that most of my photos are poopy quality. The best camera I own is an iPod Touch).  


 
Bad lighting, but I promise they were tasty!


Apple Chips
Ingredients:
1-2 apples (The popular vote online is Golden Delicious or Granny Smith, but I liked Gala too!)
1 tsp sugar
1/6 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
- Heat oven to 225 F
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar in a separate bowl/cup
- Slice apples thinly -- having a mandolin to slice is more convenient -- and place slices on parchment paper that is laid on a baking pan (parchment paper is about $5 at the local store, but if you don't have it you can use foil, just watch it more carefully and probably take out a tad bit sooner).
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of apple slices
- Bake apple slices in oven for 1 hour. After an hour, take the apple slices and flip them all over. They'll seem a bit soggy at this stage but it's okay everyone has their awkward teenage phases and these apple slices are no different. Bake them in the oven for another hour. After an hour, turn the oven off and let the chips cool off and get CRISPAY in the oven.
- Take out apple slices and STUFF YOUR FACE.



No comments:

Post a Comment